Thursday 30 June 2016

5 Years of Genealogy Notes 23-30 Jun 2016

Tomorrow 1 July marks the 5th birthday of this blog. Five years have gone incredibly quickly and there are so many new resources available online. Like any Diary it is good to go back and see what has happened and there have been lots of fantastic genealogical adventures and discoveries. I have made some wonderful new friends both in Australia and overseas and lots of happy memories are captured within this blog.

I am also grateful to the National Library of Australia who in 2013 selected this blog for permanent preservation within the Library's web archive Pandora . Thanks to the Library's wonderful Trove, my blog posts are searchable through Trove and Archived Websites (Pandora). This is in addition to Google so more people can find my family stories.

This blog started as a result of my telling others that blogging was easy and anyone could set up a blog in half hour. It was easy to set up but thinking of a name was much harder. In some ways I didn't really expect it to continue but it has grown into a real genealogy diary. Some of Australia's biggest genealogy conferences, seminars, cruises and library talks are all recorded in its pages. As well as my own genealogy success stories and discoveries.

Where to next? I still have a week to decide if I want to change what I am doing. If anything I would like it to be more than once a week but some days fly past so daily is probably too optimistic. Of course some days nothing exciting happens and I don't always do any research. Hopefully inspiration will come just as it did 5 years ago.

This week has been super busy with lots of people adding events to the National Family History Month web calendar. The early bird prize for genealogy/family history societies closed 30 June so I will be sending out the National Institute for Genealogical Studies gift certificate to them this week. The certificate can be used for fundraising during NFHM or to reward a society volunteer.

Plans for the launch in Perth are progressing. While over there I am participating in the Western Australian Genealogical Society's Making History seminar. One of NFHM's major sponsors Finders Cafe will also be there.

My next task is my regular article and blog post for The In-Depth Genealogist and I have a few research enquiries keeping me busy. Doing research for others can be fascinating as you often have to look at resources that you don't use for your own research. Never boring which is why I like genealogy so much I suspect.

The warm sunny blue sky winter days have seen me out and about in the garden. Two full trailer loads of palms and other foliage have gone to the tip but looking at our backyard you would never know. It's still a jungle but at least some of the taller palms leaning over sheds and fences have gone. The last storm saw a lot of trees come down on Bribie so best to tidy up before the next one. I would really like to remove the really tall palms between the house and pool but that would take away the tropical ambiance somewhat. Why do they have to lean towards the house?

Until next time, have a great genealogy week.



3 comments:

  1. Congratulations and Happy 5th Blogiversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 5th Blogiversary, Shauna... looking forward to all to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shauna,

    I want to let you know that your blog is listed in today's Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2016/07/follow-friday-fab-finds-for-july-8-2016.html

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete